On Earth Day, April 22nd 2012, please join us for a celebration after the masses for activities hosted by the St. Thomas School Green Team!
- Donuts and Coffee will be served after the 8, 9:30 and 11 a.m. masses.
- St. Thomas Student Council will host an Electronics Recycling Drive (School Gym) – Please see the attached flyer for important details.
- Each grade has created a special art project using reused/re-purposed material into a piece of art that will be on display.
- We will have a mini “EcoMart” and will be selling reusable Lunch Bags/Grocery Totes and other items as a fundraiser.
- Educational material from our community will be on hand (PDC, Eagle Recycling, Illinois American Water, etc..)
- Information available from www.CatholicClimateCovenant.
org.- Take the St. Francis Pledge to Care for Creation and the Poor and find outstanding prayer, advocacy, education and action information.
Please contact Jennifer Shields or Carolyn Kinskey at GreenTeam@stthomas-school.
Forming a Green Committee at St. Thomas the Apostle School will give our school community a chance to better the environment that surrounds them daily. We are beginning our journey to become more “Green” at STS. To give this Green Committee structure and a more clear cut vision, we are going to focus on 4 main points.
Be a steward over all of God’s Creations
- Respect for creation is of immense consequence, not least because ‘creation is the beginning and the foundation of all God’s works’, and its preservation has now become essential for the pacific coexistence of mankind,” said Pope Benedict XVI in his January 1, 2010 message for the World Day of Peace.
Strive to be TOXICS Free & Promote a Healthier School Environment
- Promote student health and sustainable local food systems
- Use “Green” cleaning products throughout the school
Use Resources Sustainably
- Continue to utilize the recycling of materials throughout the school by using the provided containers/receptacles. (Provided by Eagle Enterprises) Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
- Be respectful of the energy sources within the school. Turn off lights, computer monitors, printers etc.
Teach, Learn & Engage
- Through the Student Council representatives, educate students on the inter-connectedness of people, plants and the planet.
- Continue to inform, involve and celebrate the impact of becoming a more Green Community at STS comprised of students, faculty and parents.